America is enjoying her “Black Friday” and getting geared up for “Cyber Monday.” Once again, a national holiday is more commercialized than celebrated. If we are not careful – and not intentional – we can get caught up in the busyness of the season and forget its purpose. If ever a people existed who had an obligation to give thanks, it is the children of God.
In light of the recent Thanksgiving celebration, here are a few blessings for which I am thankful. Why not add to the list after you’ve read it!
1. Salvation… On November 18, 1983, I trusted Christ as my Savior as an elementary-aged boy. One Thursday night, during a late Fall Revival, under the preaching of Evangelist Ed Ballew – now in Heaven – I was saved. For that, I am thankful!
2. Spouse…Most people who know me know that God gave me a wonderful spouse to spend my life with, to serve God with, to raise our family with… We are closing in on 23 years of marriage. On March 5, 1995, she said, “I do.” I’m thankful for my wife, Jen and her heart to serve the Lord.
3. Daughters… We have five wonderful children, each with a heart to serve the Lord. Our oldest is now in college – our youngest is in elementary. Yet, each of them has her own special way of bringing joy to our lives. I’m thankful for each of them.
4. Family… My wife and I are privileged to have godly parents. My parents are in ministry, faithfully serving the Lord in Georgia. Her dad has been in the same church for over 75 years…her mom in the same church for almost 65 years. Both sets of parents have a wonderful testimony – one that we can each be proud of in the right sense of the word.
5. Ministry… For 23 years, I have had the privilege of teaching at Lancaster Baptist Church / West Coast Baptist College. It’s a great joy to think about the 2500+ students I have had an opportunity to have a small touch on their lives. These students are all over the globe. Rarely can we go somewhere without running into one of them! We are thankful for their passion for Christ.
That’s a quick five…Obviously there are more! I challenge you to express your thanks to others before the season is past and we are sucked up in the commercial orbit!